Search the best UK Job vacancies online at Redgoldfish® Jobs

Rural Property Surveyor Profile


This Section of the site details information that you might find useful if you are looking to secure employment or require further details regarding working as a Rural Property Surveyor. This page details the following Information:-

  • Finding Suitable Work as a Rural Property Surveyor
  • Working Duties Expected
  • Hours and Environment
  • Working Skills Required
  • Training Requirements
  • Salary Expectations
  • Trade Information
  • Other useful Rural Property Surveyor Work Information

Finding Suitable Work

This website features a volume of Job vacancies advertised on behalf of a number of different employers and specialist recruiters that post vacancies on a regular basis so you can start your search for work right here:-

Click here to View all the latest Rural Property Surveyor jobs online today


We feature many Rural Property Surveyor Jobs live online at this site and these posts are updated daily. Please book mark this page and return here on a regular basis or register with our site for Jobs by email so that you don't miss out on the latest work opportunities.

Working Duties Expected

Rural property surveyors (also known as land agents or agricultural surveyors) advise on the use, value, sale, purchase, management and development of land and rural property.They may act as consultants or be contracted to manage several estates.

Land agents (known as factors in Scotland) fulfil a similar role. Farm management is a key function - managers supervise the day-to-day running of a farm, plan crop rotations, buy/sell livestock, maintain accounts and financial projections, and advise on legal matters.

Rural property surveyors also value property, machinery, crops and livestock for purchase/sale and for insurance, taxation and land and property leasing. They arrange auctions of farm property and produce, and organise all stages of an auction - valuing goods, preparing catalogues, arranging advertising and conducting sales.

They also plan and develop the use of land, including facilities for visitors, deciding how these can be provided while avoiding damage to local ecology or disruption to rural life.

Hours and Environment

The working day is around 9am to 5pm, but farm seasons may require early starts/late finishes and weekend work. Travel includes visiting agricultural areas and attending auctions and meetings.

Though office-based, rural property surveyors may spend time outdoors, for example on farms, and conditions can be wet, muddy and smelly. On farms and forestry areas, safety regulations must be observed, and in forestry areas hard hats are worn.

Skills and Interests

Rural property surveyors should:

  • have problem-solving and decision-making skills
  • keep up to date with changes in UK and European Union agricultural regulations
  • understand the distinction between different breeds of crops and animals in assessing their economic viability
  • have good communication skills
  • be diplomatic, with good negotiating skills
  • be able to analyse and present statistical information
  • be able to handle forward planning, often using computers
  • ideally have experience of farming.


There is no set minimum qualification for entry to this work. Most entrants have at least A levels or H grades or similar. To become a qualified rural property surveyor you will usually need a HND, a degree or similar qualification.

For a degree course the minimum entry requirements are five GCSEs (A-C)/S grades (1-3) and two A levels/three H grades. For a HND the requirement is four GCSEs (A-C)/S grades (1-3) plus one A level/two H grades, or equivalent.

For details of qualification equivalents see:

Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
Scottish Qualifications Authority
An Access to Higher Education qualification may also be accepted for entry to certain courses. If experienced in a related field, you may be able to gain recognition of skills through Accredited Prior Learning (APL). Please check with colleges or universities for exact entry requirements.

You will usually need a driving licence.


The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) is the only route to achieving chartered surveyor status.There are four ways you can qualify as a chartered surveyor and achieve an RICS Assessment of Professional Competence (APC), they are:

  • Study full-time for an accredited degree.
  • Study full-time for an accredited postgraduate qualification at University of Aberdeen, Harper Adams University College and Royal College of Agriculture.
  • Go into rural property surveying as a graduate trainee and study part-time for a Postgraduate Diploma in Rural Environment and Amenity Land Management at Harper Adams University College.
  • Start work as a trainee surveyor and study for a Diploma in Surveying through distance learning offered by the College of Estate Management.

You complete the APC by having at least two years on the job training;keeping a work diary and a record of practical training; giving a presentation; and passing an interview.

You may work for The RICSs Diploma in Valuation rather than for chartered status. You need at least five GCSEs (A-C) or five S grades (1-3) including English and maths. Equivalent qualifications are accepted. Study for the diploma is by distance learning through Manchester College of Arts and Technology.
It is possible to also gain membership of the Chartered Institute of Building(CIOB) -Faculty of Architecture and Surveying- (Formerly Architecture and Surveying Institute) with initial surveying qualifications but this will not give chartered surveyor status but may give chartered builder status.To become a Licentiate member of the CIOB, candidates must achieve a relevant HND or HNC, then get at least one years approved experience and pass the CIOBs exam and interview.

Rural property surveyors may work towards NVQ or SVQ Level 4/5 in Property Management or Valuation.


About 5,000 RICS registered members work in rural property surveying throughout the UK. Competition for jobs is intense, and promotion/advancement usually means moving to other areas of the country.

Many work as consultants in private practice advising clients consisting of tenant farmers, smallholders, local authorities, public authorities, lending institutions, insurance companies, or individual purchasers. A small number are employed exclusively to manage country estates.

Others act as land agents/factors, and are employed by individual landowners, public authorities or other land owning organisations such as the National Trust.

Annual Income

Figures are intended as a guideline only.

New entrants may earn between £7,000 and £12,000 a year.
Experienced surveyors earn around £27,550.
Senior surveyors can earn more than £35,000 a year.

Further information

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
Surveyor Court
Westwood Way
Tel: 0870 333 1600

Chartered Institute of Building
Kings Ride
Tel: 01344 630700

College of Estate Management
Tel: 0118 986 1101

Other Useful Rural Property Surveyor Work Information

We have a section available at this site on Rural Property Surveyor job interview tips that you may find of interest should you wish to brush up your skills in this area and we also have number of career articles that may also be of use to you from within our guides and documents section.

Locations where we feature Jobs include:-
Aberdeen, Berkshire, Aberdeen, Bath, Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol, Cambridgeshire, Cardiff, Central London, Cheltenham, Cornwall, Coventry, Derby, Devon, Docklands, Dorset, Dundee, Durham, East Midlands, East Sussex, Edinburgh, Essex, Glasgow, Gloucester, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Kent, Lancashire, Leeds, Leicester, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Middlesbrough, Midlands and in various parts of the West Midlands

Details of other Rural Property Surveyor Jobs can also be found in other UK wide areas including:-
Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Norfolk, North London, North Midlands, Northampton, Northamptonshire, Northern Ireland, Northumberland, Norwich, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Oxford, Oxfordshire, Plymouth, Salisbury, Scotland, Sheffield, Shropshire, Somerset, South East, South London, South Midlands, Southampton, Staffordshire Surrey, Swansea, Swindon, Telford, Wales, Warwickshire, West End, West London, West Midlands, Worcestershire, York and throughout Yorkshire.

Return to job profile listing

Register your CV